The Virginia Cooperative Center for Bridge Engineering seeks to advance the state of Bridge Engineering in the U. S. with a strategic emphasis on the Commonwealth of Virginia. The Center is jointly administered by Virginia Tech and the Virginia Transportation Council with the following objectives:
- Increase the number of multidisciplinary graduates at BS, MS, and PhD levels entering the practice of bridge engineering
- Advance the practical technology base for bridge engineering and design
- Transfer new and relevant bridge engineering technologies to the US and Commonwealth of Virginia transportation officials
- Work cooperatively with VTRC and VDOT to address bridge engineering issues of immediate importance to the Commonwealth.
- Provide continuing education opportunities for US and Commonwealth bridge engineering officials (via distance learning and strategic short courses)